Though the temperatures remain crisp here in Toronto, the longer days of day light and sun beckon the start of spring cleaning our homes. It's amazing the heaviness that accumulates during the winter months. Once everything is spotless it's a good time to give the energy of your home a little cleansing too!
How do You know if you need Smudging?
Is the energy in your space (or your mood) feeling heavy and dark? Then your space (and you) could benefit from a little energy healing.
What is Smudging?
Smudging is a term used for clearing negative and stagnant energy from your environment ( think , home, office, car, objects and even your person). The most common or familiar method is with a sage wand. Although it can also be done with a sage spray.
How is it done?
Smudging with Sage
You will need the following:
- Smudging wand
- Matches or lighter
- Abalone shell or ceramic/glass bowl
- Feather or small paper hand fan
- Glass with waters
- A positive and strong intention for clearing and cleansing your space
7 Steps for smudging success
1. Declutter your space, this is importnat because negative energy sticks to everything and you need to get into the corners of your rooms and nooks and crannies of your closets.
2. Always make sure there is an open window - you want the negative energy to leave, not resettle somewhere else in your home.
3. Light the smudge wand and let burn for about 20-30 seconds ... as you would an incense stick. This will ensure it catches and smoke is produced.
4. Place the smudge wand (smoking end dow) in your shell or bowl. Hold the shell/bowl in your non dominat hand.
5. With the feather in your dominant hand start making your way through your home, room to room. Using the feather to "fluff" the smoke to help it get into all the nooks and crannies (high and low) of each area of your home. I like to start upstairs and work my down - including basement. I will go into each room and begin smudging clockwise around the room - being sure to get into corners, under beds, around window casing, both sides of door entrances, closets etc. Clearing the hallway as I go from room to room. Remember to do the staircase as you make your way down. Then starting at the front of the house I work through each room and hallway in the same manner making my way to the back entrance, and down through the basement.
6. It's importnat to keep to maintain a postive attitude and strong intention as you smudge.
7. When you have completed every room and area of your home, both with the smudging and your positive and strong intention for clearing and cleansing your space, I like to "fluff" the smoke over me - starting over my head and sweeping it downwards and away from me as I reach my feet. When this is done I extinguish the smudging wand in the glass of water and let it dry in the shell , for use the next time.
BONUS TIP: while the smoke from white sage helps remove negative energy and cleanse your space, there are a couple other things you can do to up the positive energies and attract good spirits. Here are some things I do:
Remember: Whenever the energy in a particular area of your space feels heavy or dark - give it a little clearing and cleansing. I find I do my home office at least once a month and sometimes weekly. Keeping your space clutter free also helps negative energy from sticky and getting trapped.